If you’re looking for a way to improve the appearance of your home, increase your enjoyment of the outdoors, and even raise your home’s property value, landscaping is the way to go. A well-landscaped yard not only looks great, but a custom design will make your home more comfortable and enjoyable as well.
However, landscaping is a big project that you can’t do by yourself, and the idea of finding the right landscape designer to take on such an important job can feel overwhelming. If you’re currently looking for the right landscaper but don’t know where to start, here are 5 tips to help make the search a little easier:
1. Know What You’re Looking For
The first thing that you will need to do is to have a clear idea of what you’re landscaping goals are. Not everyone wants the same things out of their landscaping projects. Maybe you want to have a large garden area for growing your own fruits and vegetables, or maybe you want something solely decorative. You may want to have a pool or fountain, or just a comfortable outdoor patio for entertaining. Because there are so many options, you should try to find a designer who specializes in, or at least has experience in, the type of project you have in mind.
2. Do Your Research
It’s important to find a landscape designer who is trustworthy, and the best way to do that is to research. A few things to keep in mind are:
- Search for companies that have experience and, compare customer ratings and reviews when you can find them.
- If possible, get in touch with your local Business Bureau and check up on the company’s records.
- Before you hire any particular company, ask to see a portfolio. This way you can see the kind of finished products they produce, and get an idea of what you can expect if you decide to use their services.
- Look at their pricing. If a certain company has prices that are way below the average, don’t risk hiring them. Many shoddy landscaping companies will try to undersell the competition, but if you want your job done well, don’t take the bait.
3. Ask Around
Word of mouth can be extremely helpful when it comes to narrowing down the companies you want to work for you. If you know someone who has had a landscaping job done recently, ask them about their experience. The more information you can get from real customers, the better you’ll be able to decide what designer is right for you.
4. Look For Experienced Professionals
Experience is a big plus when it comes to hiring professional contractors. A company that has been around for a long time is much more likely to know the ins and outs of the business, and you’ll have a better chance of your project being done well and finished on time without running into obstacles.
5. Communication Is Key
One of the most important things to look for in your landscaping designer is their ability to communicate. Working on a project is a two-way communication; your landscaper has to be able to listen to you and your desires, and you need to consider any professional advice or new ideas he gives. A professional designer will know a lot more about landscaping than you do, but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t care about what you want. A good landscaper will be creative and open to new ideas and will work with you to create a design you love that works with the space you have.
If you haven’t found the right landscaping designer for your project yet, contact us today. With over 45 years of experience in both corporate and residential landscaping design, our professional team is here to help you create the outdoor space you’ve always dreamed of.