Every year, Earth Day is celebrated on April 22 by people all over the world in an effort to protect the planet and environment. As a landscape industry leader for nearly five decades, it is our responsibility to help preserve our world’s natural resources. One way we contribute is through community service. We strongly believe in helping the community maintain and create landscapes that contribute to the overall well-being of the environment.
Last year, Chapel Valley partnered with the Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) for an Earth Day project that beautified the Buchanan Gardens Apartments. We cleaned up trash, sprayed poison ivy, and removed dead trees that were hazardous. Next, we spruced up the lot with an assortment of plantings near the management office—these included Knockout Roses, Clematis, Hemerocallis, and Nepeta. This year, we are partnering with APAH again to install a vegetable and cut garden.
Please let Chapel Valley know if you are ever interested in partnering for a community service project– we would love to hear about it!
EARTH DAY FACT: More green space within a city’s boundaries can improve the urban environment.
What are the benefits to adding plants & trees?
- Decrease pollution by reducing the amount of carbon dioxide in the air
- Help remove chemicals and bacteria from water in the ground.
- Absorb sound and help with noise pollutions
- Reduce energy consumption by countering the warming effects of paved surfaces
- Hold soil in place, keeping sediment out of lakes, streams, storm drains, and roads